Sign up for
Participate with your entry in one of our professional or student awards.Sign up for an award
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
The servo drive has been specifically developed for the EURO C spot-welding guns used in the European automobile industry. The drive concept has considerable advantages over air-cylinders, i.e.:
- shorter cycle time (higher output)
- spot welding that spares material by carefully positioning of the electrodes (v=0)
- better energy balance of used power (no air)
- improved environmental conditions (no noise)
- better possibilities for monitoring the overall process (higher welding quality)
Challenges during design period were seen in the transition of mechanical support parts of the EURO-C gun into construction elements of the drive. Achieved has been a substantial reduction in weight (30%), together with a compact design not known before. Industrial feasibility (7x24h) and design aspects were brought together in a full symbiosis.
S.W.A.C. Schmitt-Walter Automation Consult GmbH
AKS Hartmann GmbH